Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Rising in love

She had always been a deep sleeper. Her sleep had defeated all hurdles. Be it an imaginary earthquake felt by her room mate who had tried in vain to wake her up, or a robbery in the neighbourhood when all the people from the locality were out on the street at midnight and her father had to lock the door when she was left alone sleeping inside or the long power cuts in summer nights when her sisters would wake up and play Antakshari around her. Nothing could disturb her slumber. She slept peacefully, like a baby. Until she fell in love. And no one can fall in love and remain the same. Here's a scribbling from her diary-


Somewhere in the middle, of the night you had woken up because your throat went dry and demanded water. Thousand kilometres away, I had woken up because of the mini earth quake that my phone had caused and had sent the vibration from under the pillow where I had started placing it every night. The long vibration tone and the placement of the phone right under the pillow were both strategic. Since the last few nights my brain had auto programmed itself to react to them- the reaction was excitement. This time, even in the middle of the night, with the sleepiest head ever, my brain got a signal that the vibration had made me happy. I reached for my phone and opened my right eye to check your message. While it took about 2 seconds for my eye sight to adjust to the brightness of my phone screen which contradicted to the darkness of the room, my brain was sending it yet another signal to shut up and go back to sleep. Ignoring that, I fumbled with the phone pass code thrice until I managed to get it right. The phone finally unlocked and I read your message. My fingers went agile and typed a quick response and sent it. I was glaring at the phone with one eye open focussing hard at your status, waiting for it to change from online to typing. It did happen in the next 3 seconds which actually seemed like 3 minutes at 3 am in the night. And even when your message said- 'good, go back to sleep' which was exactly what my brain was asking me to do, I typed Bye and waited - for your status to turn from online to typing. But it turned offline. And in the next couple of minutes, the phone's display, my open eye and my mind dimmed successively, until I was woken up by another long vibration few hours later and I opened another eye.


The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.. We know the truth not only by the reason, but by the heart." - Blaise Pascal






4 comments:

Unknown said...

U remember how I tell you when I read something I like I want to remember I underline it or save it.. I want to save this one.

Sneha Kathavate said...

I think I have added another person in my admiration list today - Shadma Shaikh :)

This was the first post I read and couldn't stop until I had read all your posts..

I must say that I am your fan now :)

I like the way you've captured those tiny cute moments n written your heart out :)

Truly inspiring :) I actually was teary eyed with these simple yet deep emotions/thoughts


Shadma Shaikh said...

Thank you khanna.. Praise from my critic ;)

Shadma Shaikh said...

Thanks a lot sneha for your kind words :P
Never too late to bask in scorpion admiration :)